The Bossy Bar-Wife

I'M NOT MAKING THIS STUFF UP

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, April 23, 2007

Thank you for being a friend...

I know I haven't written in a while, but I am finding it harder and harder to blog everyday. I don't know why, and I hope that y'all are still checking in with me!

I do have important news to share:

Tonight, I have added another celebrity sighting to my ever-growing list. This evening, I had the privilege, along with my friend A Real Mother, of standing in line to get a book signed by the fabulous Rue McClanahan. Now, I am assuming that you know that she is none other than the fabulous Blanche Deveraux on one of the all-time greatest shows, The Golden Girls.

I'm not sure I can adequately convey how awesome I think The Golden Girls is. I mean, those four were totally fabulous in their outfits and their bawdy talk, and I still laugh out loud every time I watch it. My favorite episode (or at least in the top 5) is when Blanche and Rose enter the songwriting contest and write the smash hit: "Miami, Miami"

Miami, Miami, you've got style... blue skies, sunshine, white sand by the mile...

Wow, do I love it.

So, you can imagine how thrilled I was at the chance to meet Miss Rue. She was signing her book, "My First Five Husbands" and she read from it. One of the things she read was a part of the script from the Golden Girls, and she did a Bea Arthur impression. That brought down the house, let me tell you.

And speaking of the house... the Rue fans were a motley crew, to say the least. There was a group of women younger than I all wearing puffy painted "I love Rue McClanahan" t-shirts. There were two different women carrying Golden Girls purses. There was a woman who could have been Estelle Getty's twin. There were two older women in front of us dressed like the GGs who cut in line simply because they couldn't follow the tape arrows that dictated the line.

There was also a wonderful man in front of us who heard us berating ourselves for not bringing a camera (it said no pictures!) and offered to take our picture with his camera and email it to us tomorrow.

When we got to the table, our dorkiness around celebrities reared its ugly head. All we could say to Rue was "thank you! thank you!" She was lovely and gracious, as you can well imagine, and she called my friend "My dear".


God bless you, Borders Books, for bringing this woman into my life! Viva la Blanche!

4 Comments:

Blogger a. said...

Excellent! I love Blanche ;-)

6:41 AM  
Blogger Snake Nation said...

"Miami has so much appeal. A great place to get a seafood meal...."

8:34 AM  
Blogger jillskict said...

Oh how fun! I still love watching the reruns on Lifetime! Great sighting!

Oh and I always check in, I miss you when you aren't here, but I will always check in with you!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Monogram Momma said...

OMG I am crackign up at you!! I'm SURE you've taken the MGM tour then to see the Golden Girls house on the tour??? It's a must see!

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home