The Bossy Bar-Wife

I'M NOT MAKING THIS STUFF UP

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, October 09, 2006

Reading is Fun-damental

I had a lot of free time on Saturday while I was away. Since I was slightly removed from civilization and could not enjoy my SEC matchups the way I wanted to, I had plenty of time to read. I love reading, but I am often lured away from books by the sound of the television, so this was a good time for me to catch up.

So, the book I read this weekend was Running With Scissors, by Augusten Burroughs. I am very curious to know if any of you have read this book, and if so, what did you think? I have to say, it was riveting. I couldn't stop reading it, and I couldn't get it out of my head.

However, it wasn't exactly a feel-good book, not that everything I read should be. I think what was so disturbing about it to me was that it's basically true. I can't really imagine a life like the one he decribes, especially for a teenager. It's pretty horrifying, and yet there are funny moments.

After I finished it, I picked up another book, called The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky, which is also kind of tough. This one is just letters from a teenager to some "friend" and basically he's describing the events of his freshman year of high school. I'm enjoying it, but I think I needed a "Chick Lit" break between these two books. So, as soon as I finish this one, I'm going to give my brain a little humor and fun.

I'm really in the mood for something light-hearted, like Bitter is the New Black, which is one of my all time favorites. If you haven't read it, I must insist that you stop what you are doing and read it now. Then, you should read the author's blog, Jennsylvania, because it will keep you laughing for the rest of your life. Anyway, I'm keeping my ears open for suggestions of something along these lines to take my mind off people with difficult childhoods.

I'd love some recommendations of your favorites. Try to steer me in a way that doesn't have me questioning the meaning of life, at least for now. Otherwise, it's back to watching 90210 reruns for me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Snake Nation said...

My sister and I met Augusten Burroughs a few months ago. He did a book reading/signing at Variety. I just love him. The thing about him is that while he had this horrendous, crazy upbringing - he actually comes across as a pretty normal guy, and has a great sense of humor about it all. He does have a dark sense of humor, for sure - but there's always a light side to it. You should read Possible Side Effects, his most recent.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Monogram Momma said...

For another non chick-lit read, pick up "The Glass Castle" by Jeanette Walls. It's completely true about her life and you just have to keep reminding yourself it IS true because it just seems so impossible someone could actually grow up and endure all this stuff. It is really good though, I highly recommend it.
I'm glad you mentioned "Running..." because I have been curious about that one. Woudl it be a good book club selection you think?

7:07 AM  
Blogger Bossy Bar-Wife said...

I actually read it for my book club, which is how I found out about it. I think we'll have a good discussion on it, and it wasn't a hard read-- like I said, I read it this weekend. I think it could be good for a group to discuss. I definitely foung myself wanting to talk about it.

8:25 AM  
Blogger jillskict said...

I LOVED "Running With Scissors". The movie comes out this week I believe, but I also highly recommend the follow-up "Dry" which was also very good. He has led a very interesting life and I think it would be very enlightening to meet him. Another really good book to read is "The Saving Graces" not exactly chick lit and not exactly not chick lit.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Bossy Bar-Wife said...

I am thinking about reading "Dry" too, because I do want to hear what happens next!
I've read the Saving Graces-- I loved it. You're right, it's a good book about women without really being "chick lit".

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home