The Bossy Bar-Wife

I'M NOT MAKING THIS STUFF UP

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Ultimate Celebrity Sighting

Well, we are back from Greece, safe and sound. We had a great time! We stayed in Athens and saw all the good stuff, rang in the new year on the balcony of our hotel with a views of the Acropolis all lit up at night. We ate a lot of good food, including fabulous HUNKS of feta-- you can imagine how pleased I was at all the cheese available to me.


On our last day, which was New Year's Day, we signed up to do this "three island tour" through our hotel. We had to be on our bus at 7 am, so we didn't stay out too late the night before. After narrowly escaping major motion sickness on the bus, I boarded this huge boat, along with about 400 other tourists. The tour was an all day affair, and they took us to three islands and let us get off the boat and explore each one.


By the time we reached the third island, we were tired and hungry and almost out of euros. So, we decided that our first stop would be a cafe for something warm to drink and a little snack. As we passed by one cafe, the manager or someone signaled for us to come in, that he had a table for us.


So, the four of us (Mr. Bossy and I and one of the couples we traveled with) pushed our way throught the cafe to the only available table. I noticed right away that there was one other table in the cafe (the one right next to ours) that had some non-Greeks. I glanced over and was immediately drawn to one woman sitting at the table in black sunglasses. I looked at her, did a double take, and looked again.


She saw me looking at her, and sort of frowned in my direction. I sat down and kept trying to glance over at her and see if it was who I thought it was, meanwhile trying to be cool and keep talking to my friends as if nothing was happening.


All of a sudden I heard her voice, and it confirmed what I already knew:


I was sitting not six feet away from Martha Stewart.


MARTHA STEWART!


I could not believe it. I was FREAKING out. I am NOT good with celebrity-- it's a good thing I don't live in LA or something because I can't concentrate on anything, and get all nervous and weird when they are around. Plus, I have never been around a celebrity of her stature before-- my previous sightings are limited to Chipper Jones and Little Richard.


Anyway, I was too scared to approach her, and didn't want to be an amazing dork, so I managed to contain myself until she left.


I did see her take a picture of a glass on her table with a lemon wedge and a greek flag in it, so be on the lookout for that in the upcoming season.


For now, I am holding my breath until her show comes back on when she mentions the red-headed American tourist that stared her down in a cafe in Greece on New Year's Day.

10 Comments:

Blogger Monogram Momma said...

SHUT UP!!!! THIS IS INCREDIBLE!!!! I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!! I WANT TO RUN INTO MARTHA IN A FOREGN COUNTRY!!!!

Oh yeah, Welcome Back!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Ha ha ha! As I was reading this I was thinking, I bet MM is FREAKING out about this! Too funny!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Snake Nation said...

Perfect! Your trip sounds incredible...I can't believe you didn't say anything about it! Welcome back :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Lucky you, Bossy, what fun!

11:04 AM  
Blogger jillskict said...

I got goosebumps, then chills, then shivers. . . then I thought I wonder what MM would do!!! That is awesome and you were missed but I am glad that you had such a wonderful time. I could live on olives, feta and bread and I love Greece so I am glad you went, but you were missed! :) My chalkboard went up this past weekend and as the BF was hanging it I told him about yours. He rolled his eyes, but I am getting left sweet notes on it from him, so it can't be all bad :) Happy New Year to you!!! Hope you have your best year yet!

11:36 AM  
Blogger J said...

That is sooooooo cool!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Monogram Momma said...

Yes, Melissa, I am STILL freaking out about this so much so that I had to COME BACK AND READ THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!!

I still can't believe you didn't accost her!!! Jot down MM blogspot or ANYTHING!!!

Not even a camera phone picture, Bossy?!!?!?!?!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I, too, was thinking of MM!

7:50 PM  
Blogger a. said...

Now that is exciting and in freaking Greece!

While she was still wearing the ankle bracelet she went on an outing with her staff to a nursery near my mothers in NJ and stopped at a deli. The town is so damn small I am sure her caravan was very noticeable. Of course my mother had just missed her! When I worked in NYC she was in our office once trying to cook up a new book deal with my boss...although I didn't see her then either.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! WoW!!!

But very wise not to approach or take photos or anything - Martha can be very scary (I've read the biography....) she'd probably smack you over the head with an Hermes bag!

But WOW!

And glad you had a great time!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home