The Bossy Bar-Wife

I'M NOT MAKING THIS STUFF UP

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Failure

Friday morning, on my way to work, I decided to swing by and get my emissions inspected. I had even remembered to save cash in case it was cash only, so I was ready to go. I always go to the same place, "Dad's", and I knew that they were quick and friendly.

So, I pull into the station, start to chat with the guy as he works. We get to the very end of the test, the gas cap portion of the exam, and the computer says "Failure". Ouch.

So, the man seems unfazed, and tries again. "Failure".

He squirts my gas cap with some sort of cleaner, and tries again. "Failure".

I am starting to take this personally, and I say "What does this mean?" He says, "You failed the test".

Now, I have failed a test or two in my day. I distinctly remember failing a test in 11th grade on "Hamlet". Hell, in college I failed an entire course. (Computer science. In my defense, I was a music major and had no idea how to WRITE computer programs). However, nothing was so painful as failing my emissions test. What a loser!

However, the man at "Dad's" couldn't have been more reassuring. He sent me down the street to the auto parts store (first time ever) and told me to buy a gas cap. I walked into the store and told the man in there what I needed. He found it, and I paid my nine bucks for it, and went on my way, but not before both people working there said I looked "awfully smiley for a person who just failed her emissions test".

I installed the gas cap all by myself, and headed back to Dad's. A few minutes later I passed the test and was on my way back to work. I felt mostly relief, but there was a tiny part of me that was thinking "DAMN! I thought I was going to get a new car".

But alas, Jimmy remains with me for another year.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kimba said...

YOU PASSED!!!

8:34 PM  
Blogger lisagh said...

Gold star for Bossy!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Curly said...

I'm sure I would fail...good thing we don't have that in our state!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Bossy, you turned your failure into something positive - a good story for us! Isn't this what they mean by making lemonade out of a lemon???

9:34 AM  
Blogger Snake Nation said...

How is it that my car has never had this problem? I'm glad Jimmy passed.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My goodness. You have to PAY for your emissions test? I'm so sorry for you. At least here in Illinois they don't make us pay. I do, however, get a kick out of the fact that the closest business to the auto emissions testing facility is an auto service center with a GIANT sign that says "Failed? We can help!". Fortunately, it sounds as though yours was an easy fix!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Bossy Bar-Wife said...

Yes, we pay $25 here. I had no idea it was free in other states! Lucky you! I LOVE that there is a store right there that says "FAILED?" That's hilarious.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home