The Bossy Bar-Wife

I'M NOT MAKING THIS STUFF UP

Name:
Location: United States

Friday, August 31, 2007

WTF?

Wednesday night I had the unfortunate experience of being alone in an elevator with this woman who sort of drives me nuts. I think you all know the type-- the kind who you want to like, because you know she doesn't have a lot of friends and you want to be kind to her, but she says and does the most irritating things that make you understand why she doesn't have that many friends. Make sense?

OK, so I really do try to be nice to this woman, and I'm certainly never mean to her or anything like that, but I try to avoid prolonged conversations. However, there we were, riding the elevator together.

Here's how our conversation went:

Her: How's everything with you?

Me: Fine, can't complain. You?

Her: Fine. So... when you gonna make a baby?

Me: "..."

Her: I'm just going to go ahead and get personal.

Me: (pulling out my standard answer when people ask this question) "Well, not today!"

Her: Well, I think the teens you work with would really have fun with that. Plus, it would be a great lesson for them about the consequences of your actions.


OK--- as a young woman who is married and has been for a few years, I am used to people asking me about my child-bearing plans, although normally they are people I am a little closer to. What really irritated me about this was the idea that I would use my as of yet un-conceived child as a lesson about the consequences of sex! Does that strike anyone else as strange?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kimba said...

Wow, and you say she doesn't have many friends?

People and their baby talk..blah blah blah!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew- I am with you! Why is it that people feel like it is their right to ask us about child bearing plans... I enjoy the snarky remarks which put them in their place :)

2:26 PM  
Blogger Monogram Momma said...

HOw rude!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Snake Nation said...

Speechless. I'm speechless.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Suburban prep said...

OMG is all I can say.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Shabbee Chick said...

Um, yes. That is totally inappropriate. She's got a real zinger of a personality, eh? Whew.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home